DHL Employee Reviews for Writer

Absolutely zero training. And it takes forever to get hired and then an equal amount to get your logins and systems working on your computer. You’d think in the five weeks it takes to hire someone on that they would be working on that but they don’t. There’s no plan for learning. And I mean zero training. Absolutely none. But they do punish you for doing things wrong - even though you were never taught. No one seems to know their head from their butt there. You’ll get different answers from everyone depending on which way the wind is blowing that day. Management has never worked in the departments that they’re “managing” - therefore, they’re not any form of resource. Also - they all seem to be stuck in high school. Constantly talking about drinking and going out all the time. Talking about their failed marriages and how they would rather be at work than spend time with their family. And expect to work 50 hours all weeks, every week. Overtime is not optional and they call it every single day. Yet they throw out all of the “we strive for work/life balance.” Which is a total joke. Keep in mind that you will get burnt out because that breaks down to working roughly an extra 12 weeks per year ... or three extra months. That’s no work/life balance. I don’t live above my means so I don’t need nor want overtime. I only want to work my 8 and hit the gate. I work to afford my bills and my life. I don’t live to work. On that note ... They don’t pay all that well either. You can work at a competitor in town and make more with better benefits. Most folks are waiting for Amazon to be built. - more...
Pros
Paid vacation.
Cons
Bad management. Forced overtime. Hours.
I enjoyed working at DHL for the 7 years that I was there. It became a family atmosphere. I learned a lot while during my time at DHL. I worked in several departments.
I did learn a lot in this job. I always asked how things worked and why. I learned how to fix some errors and as well when the errors were not from our company.
Everyone there was pretty nice and most everyone worked hard and pulled their weight. The only bad thing about it was the hours. 12 hours a day 7 days a week during peek and 5-12s on down season.
Pros
Good pay, Great management
Cons
Too many hours!
Seems that as long as you give positive feedback and become friends with management you can advance. I am a very out spoken individual whether it be positive or negative and I am not there to make friends with management. I have a life outside of there and supervisors and management do understand that I am there to do a job and go home. I don't like drama and that is what seems to take place quite often.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
too much drama if managemnt dont like you, you will not advance no matter how qualified you are
DHL is a fantastic company to work for. great people, great benefits, great culture. the only downside is that, depending on what department you work in, it's very likely to be required to work nights, weekends and overtime. If you don't mind that, DHL is an absolute wonderful place to work.
Pros
Grreat people, Great benefits
Cons
due to the nature of the express freight business, nights, weekends and holidays are often required
I enjoy what I do and I have a sense of fulfillment each day. I have learned a lot about Logistic and brokerage with this company.
Most enjoyable for me was customer contact. I enjoyed helping all the customers on a daily basis to get their shipments through customs.
fair work place, fast pace, good healthcare, long hours, week-ends off, have to work most holidays, fair co-workers, continuously learn new codes and programs
Pros
good healthcare
Cons
night work
DHL was a great place to work for when I first started working there in 2003. Once operations returned to CVG Hub from Wilmington Oh, there was a change in the way the work was done and expected to be done. Many of my co-workers made it somewhat fun to go to work. Some of the managerial staff seem to change the decorum and work relationship. I learned quite a bit during my time at DHL and would like to find a job in Utah that would take advantage of what I have learned. The enjoyable part of working at DHL was when management understood that the goals set up might not always be met, despite the employee doing his/her utmost to meet the expectations.
The typical day involved non stop phone calls & coordinating trucker pick ups. What I learned were the basics of importing & classification. Management was ok My co workers were very friendly The hardest parts of the job was learning as you go. The most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment
Pros
The work schedule
Cons
The annual reviews
Very professional work environment, people are very friendly
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
I started this job in Chicago in 2004. I love my job. I am a friendly person who gets along with just about everybody. I moved to SC with my job in 2010 in which this job has become very unstable. My thoughts behind the stability of this facility (not the job) is because SC is an at will state and all the management in this facility has moved here from other states also, the management feel they can make up rules & regulations as the days go by and treat people the way they want.Therefore i am looking for a more stable position in which i can feel more secured in keeping my job so i can take care of my family (myself and my son).
Pros
wonderful group of people to work with
Cons
terrible raises, no where to advance with the company, inequality of pay rates for people in the same group of hiring