Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Foreign & Commonwealth Office Employee Reviews

All equipment, All trailer, All tracks, All lifters, All dampars, carpintar, purchasing, woshing, transportation, oprestion, maintenance, repairing, machines, plumber, electric, carpintar and all works responsibly etc Lubers, vendors and all staff handling etc And more professional experience knowledge etc
Pros
Mobile phone and petrol free
Cons
Saturday is off
Fun place to work and gives you great experience. Teaches you many great skills above all building relationships and working in the dynamic arena of international affairs.
Staff get fired so easily they have a high staff turn over and the working environment is toxic and sick. Worked there for 6 months and nearly landed in a hospital. Its a very racist environment the company is not diverse and black people are meant to feel as though they are stupid and incapable of making decisions.
Pros
good salaries
Cons
racism, poor line management, no training provided to staff
This is a good place to work. Get to work with other government departments across the world. Work in different departments to learn new skills and extremely rewarding.
The website will tell you all you need to know. A fast changing global environment ensures an exciting career with the FCO. Plenty of opportunities to travel and work overseas. A change in role every two or three years keeps things interesting.
The management team was great and the people i worked with it was fun they made sure i was comfortable always. My payment was very little with no incentives it was tough but I pulled through and everytime i got payed went to checkers to see what i can get with that money.
Great place. Lots of people from different nationalities, great opportunities for learning and expanding skills. A lot of travel opportunities
supporting conferences with excellent hospitality service serving dishes to customers at the table able to make different kinds of coffee's ensure timely delivery of all food and beverage item to customers understanding menu content and keeping up to date with any menu changes
Pros
free food
Cons
The post was held under the official secrets act. Government held post. Always room to progress. Lovely surroundings to work in. Job security. Travelling to London a slight downside,
Pros
Government
Cons
Travel
Management is not organise, however, training is giving each six months. We have good teamwork. Meeting high foreign diplomas The hardest part of the job is having people trespass a loud and angry person and avoiding complacency
Pros
Cons
12 hours
Loved working at Fco. Nice friendly colleagues and great location to get to. Learnt loads, could expand my skills set and evolve.
Pros
Flexi hours
Cons
A very hierarchical organization. Most colleagues are there to do the least amount of work they can. Poor work culture, highly political. The work can be exciting and interesting. Generally, poor managers but there can be exceptions. Pay for junior staff is poor, even in high-cost locations. Very dangerous set-up with the IRS that can severely damage U.S. individuals, the Brits won't defend your interests. Foreign Office diplomats can be very interesting but self-serving. Not good business people or business analysts. Fairly secure job security rating, but most don't stay very long.
Pros
International trade & relations. Ability to meet people.
Cons
Poor management, driven by volatile political demands. Low pay, tax/IRS liability.
Lovely people and the job wasn't bad either. However, the pay is terrible (being a Government post), and I found that I was struggling to pay my bills, so time to move on.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Low pay
Excellent for young people seeking to work overseas busy role but you will not bored Good team working Negative resources been cut means increasing workload
Pros
Annual Leave
Cons
N/a
I was so proud of my work as interpreter for the 'FCO' office back in Iraq following the 2003 war. It gave me great favour to rehabilitate my life and find my goals. It was really the one I can clearly say taught me thousands of life lessons.
Pros
Massive advantages
Cons
Working with other government departments; working in the diplomatic and international arena; working with a dedicated and focused team, punching far above our limits. Able to utilise language skills. Great to experience a completely different culture.
Pros
Great way to begin the transition from Military to Civilian life.
Cons
Long hours and lack of work/life balance.
I went to Moscow and Oslo to hang wallpaper. I had a great time and was very well looked after. The whole experience was great.
Pros
Nice places to work
Cons
away from home
I received a lot of in-house training, used a lot of new applications. Met lovely people from all backgrounds, assisted management with various internet banking projects and implemented it. It was a big success. We worked real hard and did take time to celebrate the completion too...
Pros
good team to work with
interesting culture and job roles within company ,nice co workers . good holiday entitlement .good advancement opportunity's
I have responsiblity for the delivery of Hard and Soft services for the FCO within APAC and Europe. Management of stakeholder relationships and budget responsibility. Development and review of KPI's and SLA's. Audit management and completion, man management, contractor management of TFM contract. Working in a good environment with good co-workers. The hardest part of my job is delivering messages to stakeholders which are not welcomed. The most enjoyable part is stakeholder relationships and variety of work.
Pros
Luncheon Vouchers, Bonus, Medical Cover and Pension
Cons
Lack of progression
I taught Lithuanian to British diplomats at the Diplomatic Service Language Centre of the FCO. The job was interesting and rewarding. I was providing language training to ambassadors, political secretaries and other diplomats. I had to introduce Lithuanian culture, relevant political issues, e.g. integration into EU, NATO, economics, social aspects. I was also involved with cultural seminars and linguistic training sessions. The management was great, we had to regularly be upraised and had to write reports ourselves. The line managers were always very helpful and friendly. My work colleagues were tutors from different countries of the world, it was a pleasure to work and socialise with them. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye to my students. The most enjoyable and rewarding part was seeing the results.