Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Foreign & Commonwealth Office Employee Reviews

All equipment, All trailer, All tracks, All lifters, All dampars, carpintar, purchasing, woshing, transportation, oprestion, maintenance, repairing, machines, plumber, electric, carpintar and all works responsibly etc Lubers, vendors and all staff handling etc And more professional experience knowledge etc
Pros
Mobile phone and petrol free
Cons
Saturday is off
Flexible hours for permanent staff which is good, and, support for further education if permanent staff which is also good. Seems to be lots of contract staff about who have been there a very long time, but, quite a reasonable bunch to work with.
Pros
Variable work load. Can be interesting working with other Gov.Dept's.
Cons
Advancement can be slow.
Good place to start, but limited opportunity for growth. They don't take taxes out of your check so you end up in trouble with the IRS at the end of the year and end up in debt.
My diplomatic service experience enables me to demonstrate confidentiality, sensitivity, initiative and sound judgement. My ability to be resilient, flexible and adaptable was largely developed whilst working at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London intertwined with 9 years overseas postings to embassies overseas. In addition, the rich experience and knowledge I gained through interaction with a diverse range of people and cultures both at home and overseas makes me a credible candidate. I have good organisational, communication and interpersonal skills. I am a reliable team player, able to work under pressure, with minimum supervision and discretion. I also have fast/accurate IT skills thus able to deliver a rapid turnover of tasks. For example my work at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office would often involve preparation of urgent briefing for No10 or the Palace which would mean re-prioritising other tasks in order to produce work to a high quality at short notice and within tight deadlines. My Masters degree and CIPD courses covered a diverse range of modules, for example, employee relations, employment law, performance and reward, effective management and leadership, learning and development, people resourcing and strategic HRM. In addition, I also undertook dissertations on managing workplace diversity and occupational stress. I am therefore aware of the importance of achieving employee engagement/commitment and its effect on recruitment/retention, motivation, organisational culture, employer branding and thus competitive advantage. However, I am willing - more...
Pros
Travel. Flexible/Remote working.
Cons
Varied fast paced roles both at home and overseas. Often working under pressure, to tight deadlines and with minimum supervision.
i found this position, very interesting. i would type letters, use the teleprinter, file, photo copy, run errands and alot more. This position was at hanslope park
They say no place like home, well, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office was just like home, colleagues who treat you like family and Management who respect and help you develop. You get to go on two-three courses per year (all paid for), you get a safe and rewarding environment to work in and most of all you get to make a difference in peoples lives for the better. If I weren't living in Canada, I would choose only to work for the FCO. Hardest part of the Job was to resign!
Pros
Rewarding experience, self development and opportunities.
Cons
Low pay in London UK meant struggling to keep up with the day to date costs and living.
Vast amounts of squandered resources both in terms of material and human resources. The organisation is more reactive than pro-active and priorities can change suddenly for no justifiable reasons. The interaction between branches of the organisation was often difficult or non-existing. Plenty of wasted opportunities in terms of taking advantage of offshore possibilities. Extremely bureaucratic and inefficient.
Working on the Queen's visit to Ireland was fun. Working with the Irish Embassy in London was also a good laugh.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Foreign & Commonwealth Office?
As a Government sector the transition to a commercial approach will take some time, at present the two design houses are not connected in there approach to intergration.
Pros
Working in London gave better rates of pay
Cons
Long days 12-13hrs
Working with IWPR you learn about research and various matters that affects people.
Small office with a different challenge, project, event, every day. Hardworking, highly engaged team with a multiplicity of skills.
Highly professional ITIL environment - Global Company High pressure, fast paced, multi disciplined requiring self motivation and excellent time management.
Pros
Learned many things that I can use in the future
Cons
Travelling from Birmingham to MK everyday
A company where diplomacy lives. It has the ability to solve problems like no other diplomatic network in the world.
Exposure to a large cross section of people from all walks of life across the world.
Very busy building with lots of different people, dfferent types of people and some confidential information
I have been a member of Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service since 1999. My current position is Diary Manager to the Head of the Diplomatic Service. The work is fast paced and ever changing due to the nature of the job - natural disasters, conflict and threats. On a daily basis I have to prioritise requests for time in the diary, juggle the many demands whilst making sure the best use of time is made. I have to make judgements on what to move and what to postpone should urgent requests come through. I have to balance time for meeting with time for preparing and also ensure work/life balance. The most enjoyable part is the frustration of managing a complex diary...I love it and thrive on it.
Any service provider management job at Foreign and Commonwealth Office is a mental torture specially if you are a coloured person.
A typical day shift would comprise for myself, taking calls and dealing with emails from customers, running my team of 5 and reporting directly to the service desk manager and incident manager on ongoing issues, new or developing problems and general team management. My team are some of the best people i have ever worked with which makes any job more enjoyable and we all work hard and play hard when we can! The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to resolve issues for the customers and leaving them with a smile!
A good employer to work for. Training always available when required.
Take over from day or night Supervisor. Read and sign Daily occurrence book. Log on Computer to read hand over information. Prepare attendace sheet,Manning compliance sheet, radio and duty log sheets. Assign Guard duties. Start post checks and external patrols. Start internal patrols. Start breaks on various post.Read emails.You always learn something new each day. Each day is deferent.I log and report each incident to management. We had a good team work when I am busy I delegate some of the work to my co-workers and they are always willing. When called upon to deal with unreasonable visitors by the receptionist. On remembrance Day when you get to see all the royal family.
Pros
free parking