Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Foreign & Commonwealth Office Employee Reviews in London

London32 reviews
Challenging and potentialy impactful working on implementation of UK foreign policy. Opportunity to learn languages, build great cross-cultural relationships, travel and have unique experiences. May not leave you with skils to qualify you for private sector roles. Not well paid in the UK but decent packages are available overseas.
Opportunistic bullying is rife within the organization.
Individual attention to detail is ignored in favor of corporate ignorance & lack of attention to mission values & end result.

Not a good life style or work balance, expect to experience family issues, alcoholism, divorce & a complex destructive lifestyle
Pros
Institions former capabilities & kudos
Cons
Non motivated freestyle bureaucracy
opportunity to learn and work with people of different backgrounds. prospects to woek overseas and promotion. Flexible working hours good leave . company Pension and season ticket loan.
• Attended a talk and had the opportunity to meet with members of the F&C office.
• Heightened knowledge on the public sector and other areas.

• Increased network contacts for future reference.

• Enhanced my passion for the field.
Ample opportunities for development and career progress if start working FCO in young age ...going through ranks but not the best place for mid level career enteries ...it takes time to progress and sometimes so slow one may need to change path after all.
Extremtly intelligent, ambitious environment with highly capable and talented resources ...in right teams you go up and progress so well. In wrong teams ...it is boring at the very best.
Pros
Ample opportunities for development but not quickly enough to transition
Cons
Very low paid - as most civil service bodies are.
Good career opportunities if that is what you want. More aimed at young single men and women, work/life balance is an issue and rarely receive any praise for going above and beyond.
Great place to work in a grandeur of a building with lots of great history. A great bunch of people in the team but decision making could have been better.
I made excellent friends for life and the institution was an absolute pleasure to work for. I would recommend it to anyone considering applying for management positions.
Well recommended. Great team and location with significant job satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of the job involved multi-agency collaboration. Thank you.
Opportunities were taken away from junior grades particularly those wishing to travel overseas. Much uncertainty across the office and low staff morale.
Pros
Flexible working conditions
Cons
Job insecurity
Hard working and innovative organisation, that seeks to improve through listening to staff feedback and suggestion schemes.

Diverse workforce representative of the community it serves.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Staff were great and lower management caring. machinery good and well cared for. staff great. lots of benefits. Salary good. good canteen etc. would recommend the job to anyone.
Pros
good reliable job
Cons
poor manager
Fun place to work and gives you great experience. Teaches you many great skills above all building relationships and working in the dynamic arena of international affairs.
This is a good place to work. Get to work with other government departments across the world. Work in different departments to learn new skills and extremely rewarding.
The website will tell you all you need to know.

A fast changing global environment ensures an exciting career with the FCO. Plenty of opportunities to travel and work overseas. A change in role every two or three years keeps things interesting.
supporting conferences with excellent hospitality service
serving dishes to customers at the table

able to make different kinds of coffee's

ensure timely delivery of all food and beverage item to customers

understanding menu content and keeping up to date with any menu changes
Pros
free food
Cons
Management is not organise, however, training is giving each six months. We have good teamwork. Meeting high foreign diplomas
The hardest part of the job is having people trespass a loud and angry person and avoiding complacency
Pros
Cons
12 hours
Excellent for young people seeking to work overseas
busy role but you will not bored

Good team working

Negative resources been cut means increasing workload
Pros
Annual Leave
Cons
N/a
I went to Moscow and Oslo to hang wallpaper. I had a great time and was very well looked after. The whole experience was great.
Pros
Nice places to work
Cons
away from home
I taught Lithuanian to British diplomats at the Diplomatic Service Language Centre of the FCO. The job was interesting and rewarding.
I was providing language training to ambassadors, political secretaries and other diplomats. I had to introduce Lithuanian culture, relevant political issues, e.g. integration into EU, NATO, economics, social aspects. I was also involved with cultural seminars and linguistic training sessions.

The management was great, we had to regularly be upraised and had to write reports ourselves. The line managers were always very helpful and friendly. My work colleagues were tutors from different countries of the world, it was a pleasure to work and socialise with them. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye to my students. The most enjoyable and rewarding part was seeing the results.
My diplomatic service experience enables me to demonstrate confidentiality, sensitivity, initiative and sound judgement. My ability to be resilient, flexible and adaptable was largely developed whilst working at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London intertwined with 9 years overseas postings to embassies overseas. In addition, the rich experience and knowledge I gained through interaction with a diverse range of people and cultures both at home and overseas makes me a credible candidate.

I have good organisational, communication and interpersonal skills. I am a reliable team player, able to work under pressure, with minimum supervision and discretion. I also have fast/accurate IT skills thus able to deliver a rapid turnover of tasks. For example my work at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office would often involve preparation of urgent briefing for No10 or the Palace which would mean re-prioritising other tasks in order to produce work to a high quality at short notice and within tight deadlines.

My Masters degree and CIPD courses covered a diverse range of modules, for example, employee relations, employment law, performance and reward, effective management and leadership, learning and development, people resourcing and strategic HRM. In addition, I also undertook dissertations on managing workplace diversity and occupational stress. I am therefore aware of the importance of achieving employee engagement/commitment and its effect on recruitment/retention, motivation, organisational culture, employer branding and thus competitive advantage. However, I am willing
 - more...
Pros
Travel. Flexible/Remote working.