Roche logo
Roche

Roche Employee Reviews for Scientist

Found 31 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,225 reviews

Word hard and Play Hard

People are what makes this company great. Everyone is extremely hardworking and very accommodating to others. Great Team work. If you are willing to work hard, you will like it here.

Pros

Co-workers

Cons

Working in protein core group dealing with purification in anti inflammatory drug discovery group.I learnt a lot.

Excellent place to work, very professional and people are very supportive and encouraging. Besides the pay is good. I would highly recommend anyone wanting a challenging opportunity to join Roche if offered a position.

Coworkers are great, general large company feel

Day to day is good, nothing extreme or strenuous Reasonable work pace Unfortunately have to wait a while for approvals and whatnot but that's to be expected with large companies

People culture is great

Great company Good benefits Great people culture Programs for employee encouragement and advancement Encourages employee and employer interactions. Offers educations seminars.

Productive environment, supportive coworkers

Day to day involves a lot of data analysis and experimental design. Easy to discuss different projects with others. Learning curve fairly easy to overcome since coworkers are patient enough to explain details.

Pros

Snacks in break room, laptop provided

A decent place to work...

Roche has a lot of good people working there. The products it develops are solid, however if you're looking for science that pushes the envelope, Roche might not be the company for you. Also, the development teams are insular, meaning that the laboratory techniques they train you in will only tangentially pertain to other labs.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Products being developed aren't groundbreaking

Solid employer with good people

I haven't any complaints. Roche has been a great place to work. The company culture is a little bland, but what I have enjoyed the most so far is the people.

stable company but few chances for advancement

I worked in a group that while integral to the company, rarely received the recognition it deserved. My biggest complaint is that this company has found a way to hire contractors for years and years on end without making an offer to convert to full-time. In addition, they would rather hire someone with outside experience than train from within.

Pros

stable, reputable

Cons

no chance for growth, stagnant

Overall fantastic first job experience

Loosely structured day centered around productivity. Annual trainings called Lunch and Learns were engaging and informative. The management is jovial yet insightful and driven. Everyone smiles and greets each other, you can talk to anyone you want. Sometimes responsibilities may pile up but team work helps overcome this as a barrier.

Pros

Free snacks and drinks, often times free lunch.

Cons

Large company makes each role feel small

Leader in its field

Best company I ever worked for. Flexible working hours. Top of the range equipment. Very professional, highly skilled staff and managers. Amazing workplace culture.

Pros

Flexible working hours that suits your personal needs

Cons

A great team with a greater teamwork.

My time there has been great! Very helpful people. The guidelines lead your overall workflow but it allows for individual input as well from time to time. The office is a very inclusive place and I am happy to have been a part of it.

Nice to place to work but mostly internal hiring.

I was a contractor and there were no positions to be hired permanently. Mostly internal hiring and promotions. Pay was good as a contractor. Location and facility in impressive.

Warning to all scientist

Do not work at Roche. Management is the biggest issue here as they do not care about the scientific process, and only care about valid results. Projects frequently fail or get canceled. Nobody seems to ask scientific questions but instead looks for people to blame. If you want to work at a company where you can grow as a scientist, this is not the environment for you. Any scientists job can be replaced by a liquid handler, and management would prefer this. I have been in meetings where directors and department heads openly joke about this. It is rare for a contract scientist to get converted full time, as you are seen as expendable. I know contract scientists that have been on projects for 3 years and were let go indiscriminately. Management is the biggest issue at Roche. None of the directors or department heads truly care about the science being conducted. Projects are not managed correctly, scientists are not properly trained, and any lab project is always in crisis mode. It does not surprise me that Roche is not doing great as a company. Their competitors are making more breakthroughs in diagnostics, manufacturing, and scientific discovery. Roche is still trying to play "Catch-Up" with Illumina, Bio-Rad, and Thermo Fisher. This strategy is not going well for them

Pros

Great People.

Cons

Everything else is Trash.

Great

A spectacular place to work in my day. A fine company to this day. Technical advancements, new policies, a strong company backing, no one really needs a description of what Roche can provide.

Roche cares about their employees

Roche does a great job taking care of their employees. They really value them. Management isn't that communicative. Good science, but it can be slow paced.

Productive and stimulating work environment

Working at Roche from 2003 to 2009 was mostly productive and stimulating working environment. The management (lab heads/project leaders) were mostly good but the pay scale seemed a bit skewed towards upper management.

Great working environment

Nice people, nice managers. People work very collaboratively. New things and interesting discussion everyday. Can really learn a lot of useful techniques here.

A lot of work, but mever under a lot of stress. Had to meet deadlines however I and my coworkers were never pushed, and never put under undue stress..

Pros

Relaxed environment

Cons

Short breakes

Very bad atmosphere, kept me a temp for 9 years

When I started working for Roche (under Adecco, and later under ProUnlimited) it was a wonderful work environment, although they didn't pay much, had little or no benefits, and weren't hiring their temps. Three or four years ago our department had a change in management and the climate changed overnight--several people were fired, many of them quit, and those that stayed either became very competitive or were trampled upon. Dirty office politics became the norm, and I was actually afraid to go to work for a long time because of how I was treated. I was actually relieved when they didn't renew my contract last year. Still, that was just my department, other departments might be different. And to be fair they were hiring lots of fresh-out-of-college temps when I left, using them to replace older folks who had been working there for a while.

Excellent work environment

Roche is an excellent company to work for. Great atmosphere and creative and brilliant employees work with. Work culture is also very enjoyable and motivational. Great campus and overall fun place to work at.

great place to work

Roche is a great place to work. They have a clear direction as to where they are going and want to be. They are very supportive of your career goals whether with the company or not.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Roche. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2