The Urban Unit

The Urban Unit Employee Reviews

i loved the official environment at the urban unit.i stateted my job over here as junior GIS Assistant in 2013 and left job as Quality control GIS in 2019.I loved my job and proud to be a part of the Urban Unit.The only thing worst about this caompnay is the job security. i worked over here on contract basis of 6 months to one year extendable to next year.
Hard to work in Public Sector or semi public sector organization. No ownership of the project. No Professional working environment. Lack of coordination between the Head Office and Sub Offices.
Always get impaired by their management and salary and everything that an employee needed the most to work with a friendly environment and do the job with confidence and pleasure. My pleasure time always when I served to this company.
I had wonderful time and developed and groomed out my skills. I got so much confidence from there and very cooperative seniors and lot of exposure for the freshly graduated employees.
The Jobs are good and the salary range is also better. The projects tend to polish your skills and mostly consultant jobs are well paying off. there is a delay in the payment if you are on a contract but otherwise learning is great.
over all experience at urban unit is good. the people of urban unit is very passionate and hard working . most importantly UU organized so many events.
Bureaucratic red tape environment as usual (as a public sector company) Good for people from the corporate sector to learn more ----------------------
Not an ideal place to work but lots of different on-going projects provided opportunities to learn and grow. No structured processes and lack of collaboration with other employees due to infrastructure issues resulted in delays.
The targets are set by the World Bank for each years, these are called disbursement linked indicators. It is a governance improvement project. The main thrust was to introduce technology and Management Information systems in the public sector. For this the baseline and existing system were studied and change was introduced in a systematic manner. The city entities were initially reluctant but agreed to implement the proposed systems. Proper guidance and SOPs were provided to City entities. Regular followup and on job training are being provided to the employees.
Pros
work life balance, High pay, annual dinners, understanding of the development challenges of Pakistan
Cons
short term contractual appointments, No gratuity
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Urban Unit?
It was a great opportunity for me to work in The Urban Unit to learn new technologies and enhance my skills. The Urban Unit provides a great learning environment.
I worked for 6 months and i receive my salary after 1 year so how can you be satisfied where you can't get your salary at time.. so there i worked hard you can learn more where you get more work. therefore one good part of that organization is you can learn more butt there is some problem with your pay so i leave that company.
The best part of my job was the diversity of work and cross functionality it required. It was no ordinary business development job but required 360 degree input, conducting negotiations of business proposals with leaders from the industry and various government establishment. The work culture could have been better provided better provided the company invested in employee development.
Pros
Exposure to work on Infrastructure Development Project
Cons
Under developed work culture
that job was quite a good job but th management of there is too bad ,so difficult to survive in that place because of mismanagement .so therefore i had to close my career from there ,now i am looking for a good professional job .
Cons
the urban unit is full of work. we work here for the people of Pakistan and provide them best facilities. And we provide them best things to improve their lifestyles.
Management was supportive.The environment of the Job was well.It was my first job thats why i enjoyed a lot.It was a government based android survey of land.The job offer was through University.The salary was reasonable.As it was a field work,the security was good provided by the organisation.
The Urban Unit provides you a very good plate form to learn the skills related to IT and GIS jobs including development and analysis.
The company itself has a good environment and have learned a lot in the field of GIS. I have completed many projects in the company.
We have different departments which are further divided into different teams. I work as a GIS Developer so i comes under GIS web development. We start nice and early at 9 A.M. Day starts with checking email and looking for updates on assigned tasks or continuing the previous task to meet deadline. Tasks varies and they are very interesting and challenging most of the time. Usually we take a cup of tea 11AM and then back to work - (converting caffeine into programming code). We have office mess hall where food is cooked and served by waiters and starts at 1PM to 1.30PM We have many discussion sessions and meetings for different projects time to time. we have workshops and trainings as well on monthly basis. we finish by 5PM. Many leave office while other finishing their tasks or exploring the new tech. we work extra hours till midnight or the whole night in emergency situations like in flood 2014. We go on official trips occasionally which is fun time.